Gapers Block has ceased publication.

Gapers Block published from April 22, 2003 to Jan. 1, 2016. The site will remain up in archive form. Please visit Third Coast Review, a new site by several GB alumni.
 Thank you for your readership and contributions. 

TODAY

Friday, April 26

Gapers Block
Search

Gapers Block on Facebook Gapers Block on Flickr Gapers Block on Twitter The Gapers Block Tumblr

A/C
« Christmas in July Art Around Town »

Bucket List Tue Jul 24 2012

My Chicago Bucket List: My Name in Print

Previous Entry: Become Everything I am

Next Entry: Love at first cat scratch

Number One: See my name printed in black and white byline; there is nothing better in this world than having your writing printed in a tangible format you can physically mail to your mother

Last March I had my first column printed in the RedEye. It was titled "Feminism is your friend," and it was everything I always wanted my first column to be. It was feministy, idealistic, witty, not entirely serious, and well written; it was as perfect of a first column, and a printed moment, as I could hope to get.

guy reading my column.jpgAnd I have to say it felt freaking fantastic. There is a tangibility of dirtying your fingers with the words of your own column. There is finality in seeing a train full of people reading your column. It is vain and humbling in the same instance. It is really everything I want in life condensed to a moment.

In my excitement of my first column, I grabbed at least dozen papers, leaving me with about five extra papers after mailing one to my mother, both grandmas, my first grade teacher, and every boy that ever dumped me since sixth grade. I wanted leftovers of all this tangible proof of a life well-lived or at least well-documented.

But sooner than expected the paper began to yellow. I lost the high. And what I saw when I looked at my printed column, was just that a piece of paper, free paper at that. It did not make me anything different than I was before. What I mean is it did not make me a writer.

And that was the bitch of it. For the past three years, getting a column printed in the RedEye was a secret goal of mine. I thought with it would come an instantaneous definition of myself as a writer, something that I hadn't been able to define myself as before. I thought my byline would imprint on my heart when it imprinted the paper.

But instead it brought more self-doubt and more new secret goals of what I thought it would take for me to be a "real" writer. Even after the third, fourth or fifth column, I still didn't feel like a writer.

And then one night, I was introducing myself to someone in my traditional fashion. "Well...I'm in nonprofit communications...for an international nonprofit...in peace and conflict resolution... which is great but really..." when I was interrupted. "She's a writer" was the suddenly very accurate and appreciated interjection.

I can't explain the way the statement shocked me and yet immediately felt right. In that moment I broke through the fear of not being "writer-enough." The moment I heard someone else say it as if it were a fact, I accepted it as the truth it is.

I can hear my mentors and writing gurus groan with this statement. They sigh and say things like, "You should know you are a writer without someone having to tell you" and, "You need to have more confidence if you are going to make it." I know. I hear you.

There is nothing writers like more than pretending we are sure of our god-given gift for words. Perhaps it is our egos; perhaps it is just a by-product of a competitive market; perhaps it because admitting we aren't sure of ourselves is a vulnerability we are not ready for. When we write, we put a large portion of our hearts on the page. To admit we aren't sure if those words are "enough" would be to put the rest of our heart on the page as well, to sacrifice all of ourselves to a page and to others often unnecessarily rough critiques.

But personally, since I'm here with 70 percent of my heart already on the page, I might as well donate the rest of it. I've never been a confident writer, and even now that I know I am a writer, I'm not sure I'm a good one, or more if I am a deserving one.

But that is not going to stop me from writing and from trying to make myself more of a writer, more than enough, with each article.

Nothing is as black and white as a paper. Writing in print feels permanent, feels solid. It gives you the illusion that life is solid and that you should be too. But paper yellows, ideas shift, and, if you allow it, the definition of ourselves can expand to include "writer and more..."

GB store

Laurie / July 27, 2012 9:51 AM

I feel the exact same way! When I was a student at UW-Milwaukee I was offered my own column in the school newspaper. I remember living off this high for weeks. And like you my first column was a bit feminist and quite controversial and it made me a writer. After awhile when the high wore off I felt I wasn't good enough and eventually quit the paper. I wish I hadn't but reading your column is inspiring! I'm back in school but working and don't have the time to write for the paper right now. I will be graduating with a degree in Journalism next spring though! Thanks for your words; you are indeed a great writer!

GB store

Architecture Tue Nov 03 2015

Paul Goldberger Describes the "Pragmatism and Poetry" of Frank Gehry's Architecture in His New Book

By Nancy Bishop

Architecture critic Paul Goldberger talks about Frank Gehry's life and work in a new book.
Read this feature »

Steve at the Movies Fri Jan 01 2016

Best Feature Films & Documentaries of 2015

By Steve Prokopy

Read this column »

Blogroll

ACRE
An Angry White Guy
Antena
AREA Chicago
ArchitectureChicago Plus
Arts Engagement Exchange
The Art Letter
Art or Idiocy?
Art Slant Chicago
Art Talk Chicago
Bad at Sports
Bite and Smile
Brian Dickie of COT
Bridgeport International
Carrie Secrist Gallery
Chainsaw Calligraphy
Chicago Art Blog
Chicago Art Department
Chicago Art Examiner
Chicago Art Journal
Chicago Artists Resource
Chicago Art Map
Chicago Art Review
Chicago Classical Music
Chicago Comedy Examiner
Chicago Cultural Center
Chicago Daily Views
Chicago Film Examiner
Chicago Film Archives
Chicago Gallery News
Chicago Uncommon
Collaboraction
Contemporary Art Space
Co-op Image Group
Co-Prosperity Sphere
Chicago Urban Art Society
Creative Control
Defibrillator
Devening Projects
Digressions
DIY Film
ebersmoore
The Exhibition Agency
The Flatiron Project
F newsmagazine
The Gallery Crawl...
Galerie F
The Gaudy God
Happy Dog Gallery
HollywoodChicago
Homeroom Chicago
I, Homunculus
Hyde Park Artcenter Blog
InCUBATE
Joyce Owens: Artist on Art
J-Pointe
Julius Caesar
Kasia Kay Gallery
Kavi Gupta Gallery
Rob Kozlowski
Lookingglass Theatre Blog
Lumpen Blog
Marquee
Mess Hall
N'DIGO
Neoteric Art
NewcityArt
NewcityFilm
NewcityStage
Not If But When
Noun and Verb
On Film
On the Make
Onstage
Peanut Gallery
Peregrine Program
Performink
The Poor Choices Show
Pop Up Art Loop
The Post Family
The Recycled Film
Reversible Eye
Rhona Hoffman Gallery
Roots & Culture Gallery
SAIC Blog
The Seen
Sharkforum
Sisterman Vintage
Site of Big Shoulders
Sixty Inches From Center
Soleil's To-Do's
Sometimes Store
Steppenwolf.blog
Stop Go Stop
Storefront Rebellion
TOC Blog
Theater for the Future
Theatre in Chicago
The Franklin
The Mission
The Theater Loop
Thomas Robertello Gallery
threewalls
Time Tells Tony Wight Gallery
Uncommon Photographers
The Unscene Chicago
The Visualist
Vocalo
Western Exhibitions
What's Going On?
What to Wear During an Orange Alert?
You, Me, Them, Everybody
Zg Gallery

GB store

Events

A/C on Flickr

Join the A/C Flickr Pool.

About A/C

A/C is the arts and culture section of Gapers Block, covering the many forms of expression on display in Chicago. More...
Please see our submission guidelines.

Editor: Nancy Bishop, nancy@gapersblock.com
A/C staff inbox: ac@gapersblock.com

Archives

A/C Flickr Pool
 Subscribe in a reader.

GB store

GB Store

GB Buttons $1.50

GB T-Shirt $12

I ✶ Chi T-Shirts $15