Ad: [ ? ]
TODAY

Thursday, December 18

Gapers Block
Search

Gapers Block on Facebook Gapers Block on Flickr Gapers Block on Twitter The Gapers Block Tumblr

Drive-Thru
« Sick of Cupcakes? Even If They're Free? Hunger Goes Off the Menu Tomorrow Night »

Business Mon Jan 10 2011

Trader Joe's Indian Food is My Best Friend

tkm.jpgI realized recently that I never make it to Devon for Indian food anymore because I have Trader Joe's, which makes the best frozen Indian fare I've tasted. Their naan, Tikka Masala, and Butter Chicken wipes away the lesser angels in TJ's repertoire (they don't do everything well).

While I sit here weighing the pros and cons of licking the microwave container of remaining specks of sauce, what other TJ's products rock/rot your world?

Amber / January 10, 2011 9:04 AM

For my money, Trader Joe's Original Hummus is probably the best packaged hummus I've ever eaten. I buy extra and freeze for emergencies.

Lauren / January 10, 2011 12:24 PM

I am addicted to Trader Joe's Powerberries and have been known to eat an entire bag in one day.

Texas T / January 10, 2011 12:52 PM

My husband bought their Plantain chips the other day. So addictive!! Too bad it doesn't come in a bigger size bag.

I am also a fan of their shumai, veggie fried rice and the whole Tex-Mex section.

Brian / January 11, 2011 11:04 AM

Consider this my picket sign, which I am holding in front of every Trader Joe's in the world: "Bring back Chicken-Esque Masala!" Best TJ Indian dish. Ever.

KMG / January 11, 2011 1:10 PM

Their Orange Chicken and fried rice! Better than any restaurant I've found!

jkc / January 11, 2011 2:27 PM

Love the clams in garlic butter sauce and pesto scallops!

KMT / January 14, 2011 7:00 AM

I miss the mushroom tortellini! I used to make mac and cheese with it.... so good, so easy!

Sometimes I really go out there and buy their wild mushroom and black truffle flatbread. A bit of a pricey indulgence.

[Were my mom to comment, she'd say their frozen cannoli are amazing. I have not looked for said cannoli yet.]

theone / August 22, 2011 2:04 PM

are there any other stores like Trader Joes that sell Indian food?

Spices / September 9, 2011 2:02 AM

I am very happy to read your articles it’s very useful for me,and I am completely satisfied with your website.All comments and articles are very useful and very good.
Your blog is very attention-grabbing. I am loving all of the in turn you are sharing with each one!…
Spices

shelly / September 17, 2014 12:24 PM

I had the Channa Masala and it was very good. I coulnd't find butter chicken but the tikka masala was good too

Please enter the letter q in the field below:

Live Comment Preview

Notes & Tags

Items marked with a * are required fields. Please respect each other. We reserve the right to delete any comments borne out of douchebaggery or that deal in asshattery.

Permitted tags and how to use them:

To link: <a href="http://blahblahblah.com">Link text</a>
To italicize: <em>Your text</em>
To bold: <strong>Your text</strong>

Gardening Thu Nov 06 2014

Autism Finds A New Solution in Local Urban Garden

By Brandy Gonsoulin

Developmental disabilities present obvious social and economic challenges, but solutions to problems are sometimes surprisingly found in the most unexpected places -- like on a small urban farm in the middle of Chicago.
Read this feature »

Events

Thu Dec 18 2014
Holiday Truffle-Making Party @ Katherine Anne Confections

Sat Dec 20 2014
A Holiday Menu of Casual Extravagance @ Alliance Francaise

Sun Dec 21 2014
Graze's All Chili Considered @ Empty Bottle

Wed Dec 24 2014
Creole Reveillon Dinner @ Big Jones

Wed Dec 24 2014
Christmas Eve @ Brasserie by LM

Drive-Thru on Flickr

Join the Drive-Thru Flickr Pool.

About Drive-Thru

Drive-Thru is the food and drink section of Gapers Block, covering the city's vibrant dining, drinking and cooking scene. More...
Please see our submission guidelines.

Editor: Robyn Nisi, rn@gapersblock.com