Gapers Block has ceased publication.

Gapers Block published from April 22, 2003 to Jan. 1, 2016. The site will remain up in archive form. Please visit Third Coast Review, a new site by several GB alumni.
 Thank you for your readership and contributions. 

TODAY

Thursday, March 28

Gapers Block
Search

Gapers Block on Facebook Gapers Block on Flickr Gapers Block on Twitter The Gapers Block Tumblr

The Mechanics
« Illinois state police defying expungement orders? Bill Would Make Metra Accept Plastic »

Daley Fri Mar 20 2009

Mayor Daley And Admiral Adama Have Nothing In Common

Over at Merge Jasmine highlights this comparison between Admiral Adama in the show Battlestar Galactica and Mayor Daley at Decider Chicago. The comparison is mostly way off though. For instance, Hunter Clauss, who wrote the piece, says this:

"Adama and Daley both like keeping business in the family name. When Adama was charged with appointing a captain to Pegasus--the second battlestar--he didn't think twice before handing the keys to his only son, Apollo."

Actually he did. There was a whole episode about the first captain of the Pegasus called The Captain's Hand. Apollo was the second one Adama appointed.

Next there's this:

"When a splitter group of the Cylons joined the ever-diminishing human fleet of spaceships, Adama wasn't ready to give them anything unless they gave up something first."

Again, that's up for interpretation. When the human refugees came to Earth and then (spoiler ahead!) decided to move on, Adama offered for the rebel Cylons that Clauss is talking about to "come along."

As far as I know, I think this is the one apt parallel:

"Adama handles this civilian government in a similar fashion as Daley--by ignoring them. When Adama wants to get something done--like outfit ships in his fleet with Cylon technology--he does it regardless of what the suits have to say. When Daley wanted to tear down Meigs Field, he sent the bulldozers out in the dead of night to rip apart the runway."

But Clauss doesn't end on an accurate note. Instead he finishes with something that, again, I think is misinterpreted (more spoilers!):

"After all these years, the good ship Galactica is finally falling apart--and the same can be said about the Chicago Transit Authority. Like the bone-chilling winters, CTA doomsdays seem like a regular occurrence. Too bad we don't have any of that Cylon magic juice to paint the tracks with."

But the CTA is getting some much needed funds to help repair it. It surely won't solve every problem but while Galactica has nothing but bandaids at best, help is on the way for our transit system.

So what's all this prove? Why, that I spend too much time watching science fiction, that's what! But speaking of Battlestar Galactica, the series finale was on a little while ago. My thoughts: eh. One thing I can say is that most viewers will probably walk away from it liking Adama. I wouldn't necessarily say the same about any time spent with Mayor Daley.

GB store

Tattler / May 2, 2009 10:03 AM

The CTA still needs more dough. It might be "needed," but it's hard to get on the train at Wilson and not think this whole thing is going to crumble apart.

http://abclocal.go.com/wls/story?section=news/local&id=6767196

Also, citing Daily Chi Town is like referring to a high school newspaper. Better luck with your sourcing.

Daniel / May 2, 2009 10:23 AM

You know, I never understand why people feel the urge to phrase their comments in a hostile manner on the internet. Anyway, no there's nothing wrong with the CDN and second, you're right the CTA needs more dough but at the time it looked like there was money on the way. Things have changed obviously or rather they have NOT changed.
In the future I recommended you try being a bit more diplomatic, it's just more pleasant for everyone.

GB store

Feature

Parents Still Steaming, but About More Than Just Boilers

By Phil Huckelberry / 2 Comments

It's now been 11 days since the carbon monoxide leak which sent over 80 Prussing Elementary School students and staff to the hospital. While officials from Chicago Public Schools have partially answered some questions, and CPS CEO Forrest Claypool has informed that he will be visiting the school to field more questions on Nov. 16, many parents remain irate at the CPS response to date. More...

Civics

Substance, Not Style, the Source of Rahm's Woes

By Ramsin Canon / 2 Comments

It's not surprising that some of Mayor Emanuel's sympathizers and supporters are confusing people's substantive disputes with the mayor as the effect of poor marketing on his part. It's exactly this insular worldview that has gotten the mayor in hot... More...

Special Series

Classroom Mechanics Oral History Project
GB store

About Mechanics

Mechanics is the politics section of Gapers Block, reflecting the diversity of viewpoints and beliefs of Chicagoans and Illinoisans. More...
Please see our submission guidelines.

Editor: Mike Ewing, mike@gapersblock.com
Mechanics staff inbox: mechanics@gapersblock.com

Archives

Subscribe in a reader.

GB store

GB Store

GB Buttons $1.50

GB T-Shirt $12

I ✶ Chi T-Shirts $15