As of January 1, 2016, Gapers Block has ceased publication. The site will remain up in archive form. Please visit Third Coast Review, a new site by several GB alumni.
 Thank you for your readership and contributions over the past 12-plus years. 

TODAY

Tuesday, March 19

Gapers Block
Search

Gapers Block on Facebook Gapers Block on Flickr Gapers Block on Twitter The Gapers Block Tumblr


The Mechanics
« A Chicago Report on Zimbabwe's 'Blood Diamonds' Cook County Board Pres Contribution Maps, 2 »

IL-GOV Wed Jan 20 2010

The Interesting Math Related To The GOP Primary for Governor.

Normally in a primary within the GOP we will have one 'mainstream' candidate and one or more conservative candidates often more than one that split the conservative vote. Normally this leads to the mainstream candidate winning the primary.

There have been exceptions to this rule Al Salvi and Pete Fitzgerald come to mind.

However this time it's a bit different. We have several candidates I would consider for the most part 'establishment', no matter how hard they may try to demonstrate otherwise. McKenna, Ryan, Dillard, Shillerstrom and to some extent Brady would all fall under the establishment banner.

Only Proft and Andrzejewski can really be seen as the 'outsider' conservative candidates.


So, I am starting to think that Proft and/or Andrzejewski might have a chance to pull this off.

Why, well you are going to hear a lot about polling numbers for the 'mainstream' candidate (Mckenna in particular). I think all of the 'mainstream' candidates are going to split about 60% of the vote, leaving about 40% of the vote in play for Proft and Andrzejewski. Normally with one mainstream candidate the 60% is more than enough for a convincing win, however with 4 or 5 mainstream candidates that is no longer the case.

But do you know anyone who is going to make a real effort to go out on a cold February day to vote for Andy McKenna? Jim Ryan? I know I don't. Not saying I haven't encountered people who support those candidates, but no one who is highly motivate to vote for their guy.

Howevhe folks who are going to go vote for Proft and Andrzejewski are going to be highly motivated (Illinois GOP primary voters who vote for 'outsiders' usually are) and are going to vote reguardless of weather or anything else that might get in the way. With 20 or 30% of the vote, you might be able to win the primary. You might be able to pull that off with an effective media buy in the last week.

So be ready for a late night on primary day...

 
GB store
GB store

Feature

Parents Still Steaming, but About More Than Just Boilers

By Phil Huckelberry / 2 Comments

It's now been 11 days since the carbon monoxide leak which sent over 80 Prussing Elementary School students and staff to the hospital. While officials from Chicago Public Schools have partially answered some questions, and CPS CEO Forrest Claypool has informed that he will be visiting the school to field more questions on Nov. 16, many parents remain irate at the CPS response to date. More...

Civics

Substance, Not Style, the Source of Rahm's Woes

By Ramsin Canon / 2 Comments

It's not surprising that some of Mayor Emanuel's sympathizers and supporters are confusing people's substantive disputes with the mayor as the effect of poor marketing on his part. It's exactly this insular worldview that has gotten the mayor in hot... More...

Special Series

Classroom Mechanics Oral History Project
GB store



About Mechanics

Mechanics is the politics section of Gapers Block, reflecting the diversity of viewpoints and beliefs of Chicagoans and Illinoisans. More...
Please see our submission guidelines.

Editor: Mike Ewing, mike@gapersblock.com
Mechanics staff inbox: mechanics@gapersblock.com

Archives

 

 Subscribe in a reader.

GB store

GB Store

GB Buttons $1.50

GB T-Shirt $12

I ✶ Chi T-Shirts $15