As of January 1, 2016, Gapers Block is on indefinite hiatus. The site will remain up in archive form while we evaluate our options, which may include a redesign or sale.
✶ Thank you for your readership and contributions over the past 12-plus years. ✶
Wednesday, February 10
On this day in 1992, much of the Loop and parts of River North flooded after workers repairing the Kinzie Street Bridge drove pylons into an old freight tunnel beneath the river.
Here are a few stories that should give you enough to keep you occupied for the next couple hours:
• WBBM's 20-year retrospective.
• Photos from the flood.
• Disaster Recovery Journal's special report.
• The Chicago Tunnel Company website.
• More about those tunnels.
• "Remembering the Loop Flood" on WBEZ in 2007, the 15th anniversary.
• The Army Corps of Engineers' perspective.
• "Soaked," an essay by Richard Powers in Granta.