Ad: [ ? ]
TODAY

Monday, October 20

Gapers Block
Search

Gapers Block on Facebook Gapers Block on Flickr Gapers Block on Twitter The Gapers Block Tumblr

Drive-Thru
« James Beard Award Noms Announced Community-Supported Agriculture »

Openings Mon Mar 23 2009

Stealth Opening: Hop Haus North

hophaus.pngDid you know Hop Haus was opening a second location? Neither did we, until I drove past Clark and Howard this morning and spotted workers putting the finishing touches on the signage at 7545 N. Clark St. The new restaurant opens at 4pm today.

The storefront was previously occupied by Amphora, a Greek/Mediterranean joint; African Harambee still occupies the space next door. Both spaces were once part of the sprawling Gateway Bar & Grill, a favorite hangout of Rogers Park's actors and artists -- it featured murals by the late Ed Paschke.

A manager was not available to comment today, but we can assume that Hop Haus' wide range of microbrews and gourmet burgers will be available at the new location. More details to come.

UPDATE: I stopped by the new Hop Haus tonight for a post-work drink with Chicagoist's Chuck Sudo -- and we inadvertently ended up the restaurants first official customers. The restaurant is quite fresh and clean -- just as you'd expect from Leona's restaurant group's bar and grill concept. A large mural of sports celebs greets you as you enter the bar area, with booths and tables beyond.

The menu is identical to the original Hop Haus; one new addition (available in both restaurants) is the "Egg Burger," which as the name suggests has a fried egg on top, along with Canadian bacon, tomato and romaine lettuce. It's a good iteration of the trend, though the flavor of the Canadian bacon was a little bit lost among the other toppings and half pound patty.

While we enjoyed our burgers and beers at the bar, a young couple came in and asked whether the restaurant was open. They were on their way home and saw the sign -- and were excited to have such a hip restaurant in the far reaches of Rogers Park. Says a lot.

Kevin / March 23, 2009 7:04 PM

Maybe I am nitpicking, but that umlaut in their name is all wrong. That would make it "Hop Hoyce" as far as pronunciation goes. Anyhoo.

amyc / March 23, 2009 8:21 PM

Yeah, people who use fake German should be kicked in the nüts.

Lee / March 23, 2009 9:12 PM

Yeah, every time I go by this place on the Brown Line the umlaut drives me nuts. Would it have been so difficult to look in a German-English dictionary before settling on the spelling of their name? Haus means house and Häuser means houses, but Häus is neither here nor there.

Chuck Sudo / March 24, 2009 11:23 AM

One thing Andrew didn't mention was the size of the wild game burgers. They're the size of sliders now ($13.95 for a choice of 3, or $4.95), which most likely shows the last time either of us stepped into the Haus in River West.

We were told by Leona's corporate chef that the decision was two-fold: they both wanted a smaller-sized burger on the menu as well as something to stand out (in the form of wild game). Given the cost of meats like ostrich, wild boar and kangaroo, it's a logical decision to make those the minis.

Andrew / March 24, 2009 4:28 PM

Yeah, I left that out mainly because it's been the status quo at the original location for about a year. Definitely worth noting, though -- and the lamb miniburger was delicious.

Audarshia / March 24, 2009 7:48 PM

Hey, did you guys find out if they're going to be part of that "Rogers Park Dinner Crawl" happening on Sunday?! They're not on the list.

Andrew / March 25, 2009 4:13 PM

We didn't ask, Audarshia, but considering they're in soft-open mode (they were still taking server applications) I have a feeling they won't be part of the crawl.

Here's Chuck's write-up of their wild mini-burgers, which aren't that mini at all.

Jeanne / March 25, 2009 5:14 PM

Ate there last night, it was soo good. We each had the three mini burgers and they were awesome! The mac and cheese side was so good.

Spoke to the staff and they said they will be on the dinner crawl Sunday!

Courtney / March 27, 2009 11:26 AM

Hop Haus has officially been added to the Crawl. Hope to see you there!

Kelly / April 24, 2010 10:57 PM

Great article. Stumbled upon on it randomly and think that I and my guy may have been that couple you had seen...we stopped by the first day too. (I also have a passion for my neighborhood I love so much- and like to get to know the local businesses and spead the word to my equally lovely and passionate neighbors! I brag continually for the love of my RP!)
We are still loyal customers...and if you haven't already- try the bacon blue cheese alfredo fries! (the "Boyfriend" is picking some up on his way home as we speak, so to say-)

Kelly / April 24, 2010 11:00 PM

Great article. Stumbled upon on it randomly and think that I and my guy may have been that couple you had seen...we stopped by the first day too. (I also have a passion for my neighborhood I love so much- and like to get to know the local businesses and spead the word to my equally lovely and passionate neighbors! I brag quite frequently about my love affair with my RP!)
We are still loyal customers (weekely-and it's a good bet for our out of town guests-safe-yet delicious-good beer selection (and they won't miss their precious Red Wings play)