As of January 1, 2016, Gapers Block has ceased publication. The site will remain up in archive form. Please visit Third Coast Review, a new site by several GB alumni.
 Thank you for your readership and contributions over the past 12-plus years. 

TODAY

Monday, September 16

Gapers Block
Search

Gapers Block on Facebook Gapers Block on Flickr Gapers Block on Twitter The Gapers Block Tumblr


Drive-Thru
« Grab Your Remote and a Napkin Craig Schoettler's Job Is Better Than Yours »

Drink Wed Sep 29 2010

Feeling Crafty

beerKO.jpgWhen I moved to Chicago three years ago I was introduced to the world of craft beer. Living in Minneapolis I didn't have the interest, or funds, to drink good beer and I didn't realize what I had been missing until I moved to Chicago.

Last weekend I went to the Chicago Food Film Festival and watched a great documentary called "Beer Wars." The movie opened my eyes to the struggles that craft breweries experience. In 2005 the big three breweries (Anheuser Busch, Miller and Coors) controlled 85 percent of the market share, leaving the nearly 1,400 craft breweries to compete for the remaining 15 percent.

I always love to see the little guys succeed and during the movie I found myself cheering for the craft breweries throughout the country. I left the festival thinking of all the great places to get craft beer in Chicago and immediately made a list of my favorites.

In an effort to help the little guys come ahead and, hopefully someday, take over the big guys, I'm going to share my favorite places to go for delicious craft beer.

DMK: Last spring, my boyfriend and I started a tradition called DMK Sundays. It's exactly what it sounds like - on Sunday afternoons we head over to DMK, eat amazing burgers and drink a couple of local beers. My favorite is Domain DuPage by Two Brothers. Even better is DMK's 365 Days of Giving program.

Sheffield's: Sheffield's is my neighborhood joint - just around the corner from my apartment I find myself there frequently. Not only do they have excellent beer, but they have a beer school where you can learn more about the beers they serve. An added bonus, Sheffield's has an amazing patio.

Quencher's Saloon: This is one of my all-time favorites places to go for excellent beer. The beer menu is on a chalk board and beers are organized by country. Choose one of the craft beers from the tap, or from one of the more 200 bottle varieties from around the world.

Jake's Pub: Jake's is very dear to my heart - it has everything I want out of a bar, great service, good music, friendly customers and fantastic beer.

*Photo by Apolinar Fonseca

 
GB store
GB store

Feature Thu Dec 31 2015

The State of Food Writing

By Brandy Gonsoulin

In 2009, food blogging, social media and Yelp were gaining popularity, and America's revered gastronomic magazine Gourmet shuttered after 68 years in business. Former Cook's Illustrated editor-in-chief Chris Kimball followed with an editorial, stating that "The shuttering of Gourmet reminds...
Read this feature »

GB store

 

Events


Drive-Thru on Flickr

Join the Drive-Thru Flickr Pool.


About Drive-Thru

Drive-Thru is the food and drink section of Gapers Block, covering the city's vibrant dining, drinking and cooking scene. More...
Please see our submission guidelines.

Editor: Robyn Nisi, rn@gapersblock.com
Drive-Thru staff inbox: drivethru@gapersblock.com

Archives

 

 Subscribe in a reader.

GB store

GB Store

GB Buttons $1.50

GB T-Shirt $12

I ✶ Chi T-Shirts $15