Chicago Historic Resources Survey: Not included [?]
Architect: S. Linderoth & Co.
Owner: City of Chicago (court-ordered demolition)
Permit Description: Demolition of a two-story brick residence and detached detached frame garage.
Status: Demolition permit issued 1/4/12
A search of the Chicago History Museum's database of American Contractor finds that the architects, S. Linderoth & Co., were responsible for the design of 200 buildings between 1907 and 1912. Many of these buildings were of similar design to 5718 S. Throop St. and were primarily built for individual owners and small developers on the South Side. According to Industrial Chicago, the firm was headed by Swen Linderoth, who immigrated to Chicago in November 1884 and started the firm a few months later. History of the Swedes of Illinois cites Mr. Linderoth's additional contributions to glazed brick production.
The building had two 311 complaints about sanitation code violations in 2011: the first on July 6, the second on September 29. An additional call was made regarding its vacant status on August 19, 2011. The building remains open and derelict, although the residents on the block were disheartened to hear that the building would be demolished rather than rehabilitated.
Over the course of 2012 David Schalliol produced a photographic portrait of 100 of the hundreds of buildings threatened with demolition in the city of Chicago. Nearly all of the buildings have since been demolished. Visit the background information section for more information about the project, including definitions and links to other building resources.
The series is supported by a generous grant from the Richard H. Driehaus Foundation.